Friday, 25 April 2014

DVD Playback issues in 14.04 LTS

Well I came across a problem in my upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 in that DVD's wouldn't play. I did all the usuals with reinstalling unrestricted extras, Libdvdread4, libdvdcss2, ran install-css.sh and none of it worked.

Someone suggest I head over to the #xubuntu channel on IRC. It turns out 12.04 was using /dev/dvd1 for the DVD drive and none of the media players were recognising this. In version 14.04 the DVD drive is now at /dev/sr0. In VLC it is only a matter of changing this in the preferences. Tools > Preferences > Input/Codecs.

Some other media players don't allow you to change the location so the partial solution is to put a systemlink fron /dev/dvd1 to /dev/sr0

Open up terminal and type:

sudo ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd

1 comment:

  1. I am placing this here, because I couldn't find any other contact for you. Sorry, it doesn't have anything to do with your post. I just wanted to know that I am a complete neophyte to Linux systems, and have been basically larning the hard way as I get used to Xubuntu, and your blog has been invaluable! Like may other blogs, in fact. With clear, concise solutions to most problems I've had, and I've been able to solve pretty much ervey problem that Linux has been throwing at me, which I guess says a lot for how effective and flexible it is. In any case, thanks. You clear commands that we can copy paste on the terminal are heaven sent!

    ReplyDelete